Protects the employees, customers, physical plant, and corporate interests of Norfolk Southern through law enforcement activities authorized as a certified and commissioned police officer.
* Polices terminals, yards, right-of-ways, and other railroad property. * Protects property, employees, patrons, and goods in transit. * Performs inspections, background checks, and criminal investigations, as assigned. * Exercises proper prevention techniques, makes inspections of freight, applies security devices, and conducts surveillances to prevent crimes against the company. * Responds to police calls for service and, as a first responder, facilitates the effective coordination of fire and rescue, hazmat and environmental, law enforcement, and/or other emergency service.
Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: 1-2 years Preferred Level: 1-2 years
Preferred Level: Bachelor's Degree (BS, BA)
* Social Sciences - Criminal Justice / Criminology * Business - Business Administration and Management
Licenses / Certifications: Required:
* Certified Law Enforcement Officer * Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer * Commissioned (Railway) Police Officer Preferred: None listed
Skills and Abilities:
* Communication Skills * Decision Making * Identifying and Considering Alternatives * Analyzing Problems
* Municipal or Military Police Officer
* Supervisor Special Agent * Special Agent in Charge * Regional Superintendent Police
Shift Work: Yes
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: 3 - 5 Days per Month,
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
Norfolk Southern is an equal opportunity employer including veterans and disabled.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Associated topics: access control, border agent, corrections officer, fire investigator, fire marshal ii, fire marshal iv, fire protection engineer, jail, nsa, safe
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.